Monday, April 27, 2015

Strawberry Rhubarb Buttermilk Quickbread


Now that I'm not living in a city, I can't alway get some of the odder ingredients I want, but good produce is easy to come by. Case in point: my nextdoor neighbor grows rhubarb and she very kindly told me that I could pick it anytime I want as she never comes close to using it all. I admit I've never actually baked with rhubarb before. I'm not sure why--probably a combination of it being hard to come by in NYC and London and the fact that, while I like rhubarb, it's not my favorite.
Understandably, I was hesitant to try a new recipe with this new ingredient. So I went to an old favorite: plum muffins. This recipe, as I've mentioned, is extremely versatile and can be made with virtually any fruit.


I made a giant batch so I could make muffins to keep and mini loaves to give away (including to my neighbor). I tossed in diced strawberries and cubed rhubarb stalks (don't forget the leaves are poisonous!) instead of plums. On top I sprinkled Demerara sugar to instead of the cinnamon sugar. Other than that, I stuck with the recipe. As usual, they came out tender and DELICIOUS! I guess I'll have to harvest more rhubarb and try something a bit more adventurous. Or perhaps I'll do exactly the same thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment