Monday, January 11, 2010

Homemade Pound Cake



I have made pound cake before, but never just plain old traditional pound cake.  It was a little tedious (but mainly because the cook book I was using has all the quantities in grams/ounces, so I had to weigh all the ingredients).  It is flavored with a bit of orange and lemon zest, so it has a subtle, mild, citrus taste that was really excellent.  Interesting trick to make a good looking pound cake: about a third of the way through cooking, cut down the center almost end to end.  This will make the crack that forms along the top of the pound cake even and nice looking.  Also, if the cake browns too much before it is fully cooked, you can tent it with some tin foil.  I didn't end up having to do this, but my cook book says it will work (and experience with Thanksgiving turkeys tells me they are right!)

I made this to use in the trifle I made for my New Year's party, which I will write about later.

No comments:

Post a Comment