Monday, March 14, 2011

Key Lime Pie

Isn't it beautiful?!

Happy Pi Day!  To celebrate, I made pie...key lime pie, to be precise. I've never made key lime pie before, as it turns out, it's pretty easy! Perhaps some recipes are more complex, but this one (from the Williams-Sanoma Pie & Tart cookbook) was wonderfully simple. And it turned out brilliantly!

The filling was creamy and custardy and smooth. And the taste was excellent too.  I made the graham cracker crust myself so I made it a little thicker than usual, because I love it! I had some problems finding key limes, so I used regular limes instead. But since they are bitterer than key limes (I believe, I've never had fresh key limes before) I added in the juice of one lemon with the lime juice, to give it the right balance of tart, sweet and bitter.  It worked! I just whipped up some cream and piped it on top to make it look pretty and voila, a wonderful pi day treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment