Saturday, June 2, 2012

Fun with Sugar Paste

For our upcoming wedding cake we are allowed to make our sugar paste flowers at home. Since I haven't worked with sugar paste since the two classes we had on making sugar paste flowers a few months ago, I thought I could use some practice. So I bought a set of sugar paste flower cutters (it's a pretty cheap set so the quality isn't great but it works for now) and had fun experimenting with the different types of flowers I now have the cutters for. I also bought a few colors of petal dust (again, not the best quality, but they seem to work well) which I used to make a variety of colors by mixing them with each other and/or with cornstarch to lighten them.

I made a bunch of different flowers:

A Rose:
 I used a different technique than the
 one we learned in class--the results aren't as
good but it took a fraction of the time
A Rose from any other angle:
I like the center few petals, but the petals
in the two outer rows are too loose
A Few Hibiscus-like Flowers:
I like the yellow one with the orange center more than the reverse
A Colorful Daisy Silhouette with a Leaf: 
Yes, I know the leaf is white--I was practicing using the veiner for 
small leaves but I didn't need to practice coloring it, plus I think it
looks kind of cool this way!
A Daisy:
I had a little bit of fun with this pic and my photo editing software,
but I promise it looked almost like this in person, the color was just
slightly more pastel.
A Dogwood Blossom
Quasi-Briar Rose in Two Sizes
An Almost-Lily:
 (this is made with the same technique as the tulips we
made in class, just with different shaped petals and stamen)
A Bunch of Blossoms:
With wires, floral tape, and a bit of patience you can make lovely
clusters of flowers in the same way you wire petals to make a flower
I'm really happy with the results of my practice sessions (these took me quite a while)--tomorrow I'll start on the flowers for the wedding cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment