Saturday, July 7, 2012

Fourth of July Dessert Plate


Any holiday is a good excuse for food. I feel that July Fourth is no exception, as you may have noticed from my little pastry battle. Well after my little war fought with food, there was enough dessert left over to feed a small army, so I gave away some plates of food. I think they came out very pretty, so I thought I mention them here. I didn't have left over brooklyn blackout cupcakes (I may have eaten a few too many) but I did have a little extra mocha buttercream so I piped it on the white cake cupcakes. I did whip up a small batch of royal icing for these fairy cakes but didn't anticipate that the foil cupcake wrappers would peel away from the cake, allowing the icing to drip down the sides of the cakes rather than pooling on top of them. They still tasted excellent (the royal icing actually improved on the cakes), even if they did look like a smurf threw up on them. The sour cream frosting for the guinness cakes was more spoonable than pipe-able, so I was afraid it'd end up all over everything on the plate so the guinness chocolate cupcakes remained unadorned and still absurdly delicious. I also left the shortcakes and scones plain so that they wouldn't get soggy. Trust me, they were very good plain. Who wouldn't like getting a plate with that assortment of delicious baked goods?!

No comments:

Post a Comment