Monday, February 11, 2013

Grapefruit Tart


I love fruit curd. I usually make lemon curd tarts, but I decided to do something different and went for grapefruit. I couldn't find gelatin at the local shop and I didn't have any at home so I used a couple extra egg yolks but it didn't make it thicken quite as much as I would have liked. It would have been a fine consistency for individual tarts, but it got a little messy when we were slicing the large one. Ah well, it tasted amazing. The grapefruit has a bit less tang than a lemon curd but it was a bit more bitter...in a good way.
I made the crust out of shortbread dough, which was sweet and balanced out the bitterness of the grapefruit. To decorate, I just topped it with a bit of whipped cream around the edge and some homemade crystallized grapefruit zest. Delicious and elegant!

No comments:

Post a Comment