Sunday, February 17, 2013

Chocolate, Orange, Espresso Brownies


These are based on a recipe by Marian Burros from the New York Times Dessert Cookbook. I've always liked Starbucks mocha Valencia (which they long ago discontinued, now it's just a mocha with a shot of orange syrup) so I figured these would be good. They weren't good. They were GREAT! The orange stood up for itself but didn't overwhelm the coffee flavor that stays in the background a bit. The chocolate, of course, was the predominant flavor and, because I was using really good chocolate, it was a particularly deep chocolaty flavor. They were very fudgy, I may actually bake them a little more next time--and I already baked them about 10 minutes longer than the recipe says--but as long as I stored them in the fridge they were fudgy and delicious (at room temp they started to get a little too gooey).
It was a little late for Valentine's Day, but we were having friends over and I decided what the heck, it's only a few days late! So I got out my new heart shaped cookie cutter (which I had yet to use) and cut out a dozen heart shaped brownies. I saved the scraps in the freezer for snacking on and putting on top of ice cream. A fun shape for the brownies and a good use of the scraps (who doesn't like frozen brownie on vanilla ice cream?)

No comments:

Post a Comment