Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Happy Bastille Day!

Yes, I know Bastille Day is in July. I completely forgot to post this...whoops.


I'm not French and, while I like France and speak a bit of French, I'm by no means a Francophile. But I really can't pass up celebrating a holiday that screams for French food (plus in London's Borough Market they have snail races and a full size guillotine slicing watermelons...how can you not get into the holiday?)


I made a quasi-niçois salad with salmon, boiled potatoes, French beans, olives (green, because I don't like black olives very much) and perfectly (if I do say so myself) hard boiled eggs. I served a sliced baguette with salted butter on the side.


For dessert I made mille-feuilles (aka Napoleons). I cheated and used store bought, all butter puff pastry. At least I coated it with thinned, heated corn syrup to make the top all lovely and shiny. I also cheated with the cream and made a lovely vanilla and crème fraiche whipped cream. Simple and, I think, pretty darn impressive for someone working on a master's dissertation!

No comments:

Post a Comment