Saturday, April 23, 2011

Chocolate Coconut Pie


Wow this was amazing!  I really wanted to try a recipe from my new Martha Stewart Pies and Tarts cookbook that I got for my birthday.  However, with my thesis due this past Monday I didn't have time before Passover to bake a pie.  I was a bit irked, because I really didn't want to wait any longer.  Happily I found this pie (Crisp Coconut and Chocolate Pie...or perhaps Coconut Crisp and Chocolate Pie), which is Passover friendly.

This is not only an incredible Passover dessert, but also a wonderful anytime dessert.  It is basically a thick pie crust made of coconut filled with chocolate ganache.  The crust is baked before you pour in the ganache and then it is just chilled.  This process, in my opinion makes it a good summer pie, because the oven isn't on for long intervals and it's served chilled.  Plus there's something summery about coconut, I think.

Anyway, my one pointer for this is do not make it too last minute.  The cookbook says to let it chill for anywhere from an hour to a day.  The one hour guideline is too short.  It's what I followed (because I'm rather impatient!) and the filling was not fully set.  That said, it was still amazing!  It had an almost pudding like texture.  Although, if I'm honest, I did like it slightly more the next day when it was fully set and chilled through to the center.  I'd suggest making it in the morning or very early afternoon if you can, then let it chill until dessert time.  That seems like it would work well.

No comments:

Post a Comment