Monday, April 25, 2011

Flourless Chocolate Cookies

  

I made these to bring into my final thesis seminar meeting.  Of course we already handed in our theses, so this was just a celebration.  Since it is still Passover, I had to do something flourless and I didn't want to make macaroons again.  So I made these amazing flourless chocolate cookies from Francois Payard's Chocolate Epiphany.  They are so good I make them year round, plus they have the added bonus of being flourless for Passover (or for those who can't eat gluten).  I'm not the only one who thinks they are that good.  One of my classmates told me that they were "really good, and not just for Passover food."

Basically, these cookies are powdered sugar, cocoa powder, egg whites, and ground/chopped walnuts.  The trick is to not over mix them.  If you do the egg whites stiffen a bit too much and the cookies end up puffier and a little less brownie-like in the center.  That said, I tend to over mix them a bit, and I still love them, so don't worry too much.  Just know that they won't look as even and flat as his do in the book.  FYI, I make mine smaller than he calls for, just because I like being able to have two cookies but not be piggy.  If you do that, just make sure to check them often, as they'll bake quicker.

No comments:

Post a Comment