Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Flourless and Nut-Free Chocolate Cake

Mini heart-shaped flourless chocolate cakes. How cute?
The restaurant I work at has a recipe for flourless chocolate cake that doesn't have nut flour in it. I have a friend who is allergic to nuts so I thought this would be fun to make for her (I like making her things that she couldn't ordinarily get). However I wanted to make it at home first, just to make sure it would work in my not-terribly-reliable, non-convection oven. (Plus we had family over for my mom's birthday). It did, so now I'll have to have her over and make it again. This cake is sort of a chocolatly cross between a brownie and a souffle. Yum!

The larger cake just after I took it out of the oven.
At the restaurant we make the cake in individual size silicon molds; I only have one small sheet of heart shaped molds so I used that and a small cake pan for the rest. The little cakes came out perfectly! The larger cake came out delicious but not perfect, the edges were a bit over done and the middle sunk dramatically as it cooled. Still, after I cut of the ridge around the edge and iced it with leftover mascarpone cream and coated it in dark chocolate covered cacao nibs. Have I mentioned, yum! I also used little rosettes of the mascarpone on the little heart cakes. Delicious and pretty!

The frosted, decorated, cake


No comments:

Post a Comment