Saturday, October 30, 2010

Chocolate Caramels with Fleur de Sel

    

Just in time for Halloween, we have caramels!

I have seen many caramel recipes with fleur de sel, but this is particularly good because it adds chocolate to the mix. It is from Chocolate Epiphany, by François Payard with Anne E. McBride, an excellent cookbook all about chocolate desserts.

Anyway, back to the caramels.  They are chewy but not overly sticky and tough.  The taste is smooth with an undertone of chocolate. (The recipe calls for milk chocolate, but I’m not a huge fan of milk chocolate, so I used semi-sweet which I’m sure changed the taste slightly, but I’m not complaining). The fleur de sel (french sea salt) brings out the chocolate while balancing the sweetness of the caramelized sugar. This is all just a long-winded way of saying they are really good! I don’t think I’ll ever eat a store bought caramel again.

No comments:

Post a Comment