Thursday, October 7, 2010

Birthday Cake, step 4

  
Please ignore the decoration on the bottom edge, it belongs with the next step, but I don't have a photo of the just iced cake.
Frosting the cake:

Ok, I'm not going to be a huge help on this, I warn you.  You might need a new batch of buttercream to do this, it depends on how much you made for the filling and crumb coat steps.  I personally prefer to make a smaller batch for those steps and then making a second batch to do this.  So now to the actual frosting.  Basically what I do is put a decently large amount of buttercream on top of the cake.  Then I use a large offset spatula to spread it smooth, letting the excess icing go over the side of the cake.  Now spread the icing over the side of the cake, getting more on the end of your offset spatula as you need.  Smooth the sides by holding the offset spatula almost vertical (but not quite) and going around the cake.  Then go back and smooth out the top.

Yes, I know that was rather un-technical.  This is how I do it but probably not how real chefs do it.  And I admit, I'm not great at making it completely smooth yet.  Perhaps that's because I use this not-really-a-method method.  Perhaps it's just because I need more practice.  I suspect it's a combination of the two.

Don't worry if it isn't perfect.  The decorations will hide imperfections nicely.  Anyway, no one cares, they just want to eat it!  To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment