Sunday, October 10, 2010

Birthday Cake, step 6

  

This is the last step: decoration!  Honestly, you should feel free to do whatever you want to do at this point.  What I did, is made a new batch of buttercream and divided it up.  I put a small amount aside and dyed it yellow to make the centers of the flowers (unless you are completely covering the cake with flowers, you shouldn't need much at all).  I then took somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of what was left and dyed it green to make the leaves.  I dyed the rest a pretty pink (using red food coloring).

Now for the fun part.  I fitted one pastry bag with a large closed star tip (with six points) and filled it with pink icing.  I fitted another with a small drop flower tip (a small closed star tip would work just as well) and filled that with more pink icing.  I fitted yet another pastry bag with a leaf tip and filled it with the green icing.  Finally I fitted the last pastry bag with a small round tip (like the ones you use for writing) and filled it with the yellow icing.

The best way to fill the pastry bags is to hold it loosely in your non-dominant hand and fold the top edge down over you hand.  Using a rubber spatula or large spoon scoop icing into the bag, trying to get it right to the bottom (don't stress about it though).  Don't fill it too full or icing will ooze out the top.  Fold the top back up and twist it so it closed.  Using your dominant hand apply pressure at the top of the bag, just at the base of the twist to push the icing down into the tip (kind of like a toothpaste tube).

Applying even pressure squeeze the pastry bags to form the different size flowers, leaves and flower centers.  I piped clumps of flowers, added centers, and then finally the leaves.  You can do this in any pattern you want.  I decided to do a sort-of random pattern coming from the top right.  I used the bigger flowers around the top, and slowly switched to using the smaller ones.  As you can see here:


I hope this helped give you some guidance on how to assemble and decorate a truly impressive cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment