Thursday, October 14, 2010

Oops and Chocolate Covered Peanuts and Raisins

Oops, I didn't post yesterday.  I forgot, sorry!  Anyway, this is what I was going to post yesterday, had I remembered:

This is a great way to wrap them to give as a gift; just cut the top off a plastic baggie and tie with ribbon. 
Last week, I made dark chocolate covered peanuts and flame raisins.  It was very easy but tedious.  Basically, I melted chocolate and dipped each nut and raisin in it individually.  To dip the nuts I put a little chocolate in a spoon and rolled the nut (or raisin) around until it was completely covered.  Then I put the chocolate covered nut/raisin on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.  It's that simple!  (It just takes a long time.)  All you have to do is be patient and let them harden at room temperature.  At this point, I decided to mix the two, but by all means keep them separate.

By the way, I used peanuts and flame raisins (fancy raisins, I'm assuming 'flame' comes from the fact that they are made from red grapes), but you can used any nut or dried fruit you want.  Obviously if you use a larger nut or fruit, dipping rather than rolling the nut in chocolate might be more practical.  And of course you can use other types of chocolate.  Some other parings I recommend: white chocolate and pistachios or dried apricots, milk chocolate and cashews (actually my aunt's recommendation, not my own idea, I've never tried them, but they sure sound good!), and dark chocolate and pecans or dried cranberries, to give a few ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment