Saturday, August 14, 2010

Almost Flour-less Chocolate Cake

   

This was meant to be a flour-less chocolate torte.  Unfortunately, it was really humid here today and the 8 egg whites that I was supposed to whip to soft peaks wouldn’t hold their shape at all (that’s why you should never make meringue based baked goods on humid days).  So I whisked the almost completely liquid egg whites into the rest of the batter (made of melted chocolate, butter, egg yokes and sugar).  But I was afraid that because the batter had little air in it (because the egg whites weren’t airy) the torte would be a flat, dense disk.  So I winged it (or as I like to say, wung it), and added in some self rising flour.  I figured that the flour and the baking soda (that is mixed in with the flour) would make the torte rise a little and be slightly lighter.  I was right.  It was still a very, very dense crumb, like a torte.  But it is also distinctively cake like, in that as a whole it is domed on top and dryer than a torte (not dry by any means, just less moist than a torte). Overall, this turned out to be a cross between a cake and a torte...and better for it!

The recipe I was loosely following suggested a glaze to top the cake, but I didn’t like the sound of the glaze that it called for.  So I made a thin-ish chocolate ganache and poured it on top.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment