Monday, August 30, 2010

Artsy Nectarine Tart

    
The fully cooked tart.  Isn't it pretty?
This is not my favorite tart, but it is still darn good! The problem is, as much as I like them, nectarines are not my favorite fruit.

It really was fun to make, if a little tedious.  I made the tart shell from the Williams Sonoma tarts and pies cookbook but the pie itself is from Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook.  I would have made her tart shell but it called for heavy cream, which was the only thing I would have needed to get from the store, so I went with the Williams Sonoma one because I had all the ingredients.  It worked very well.  It was an easy recipe and made a very tasty shell.  Plus, I have left over tart dough sitting in my fridge waiting to be made into cookies!

The filling was the tedious part.  I had to slice six nectarines into very thin slices.  Unfortunately, they were slightly bruised so they were mushy enough that I couldn't cut them thin enough to make the really pretty rose decoration that Martha does.  But I still made it really pretty and slightly abstract (which is why I'm calling it an 'artsy' tart).

Just the nectarines in the tart shell.
Then I poured in the filling mixture, which was a really yummy mixture with Chambord, which tasted so good with the nectarines.  What was great is that it sort-of puffed up when it cooked so it was very light tasting with a really nice creamy, custardy, but still slightly fluffy texture.  To put it more simply, yum!

The tart with the filling, but not baked yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment