Sunday, September 11, 2011

Lemon Tartlets


These were really good! I love lemon tarts and these were not a let down. The filling was slightly looser than I usually like. It was properly a lemon curd, you see. I'm pretty sure that normal lemon tarts are made with lemon curd that has some gelatin in it because they're much firmer. But that's alright, I actually really liked it this way. The meringue on top was easy to make and really good, plus bruléeing it was not as hard or scary as I thought it would be! And when you brown it with the blow torch, it starts to smell like toasted marshmallow, yum.

The candied lemon peel wasn't as hard to make as I expected. Unfortunately, I had problems with the burner I was using and I ended up boiling the syrup instead of just simmering it. So the peel ended up tougher than it should have. It still tasted really good, but the texture was off.

I'm a little unhappy with my piping on them. I think I did a good job to a point, my stars and shells were good, they just weren't touching well enough, I must work on that. It still looked nice and it didn't effect the taste at all, so it wasn't the end of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment