Saturday, September 24, 2011

Paris-Brest


Named for a bicycle race from Paris to Brest, this choux paste cake is meant to look like a bicycle wheel. I don't think that it is terribly wheel-like, but it is really pretty. And it tastes really good too. Basically it's a ring of choux (eclair or cream puff dough) covered in almonds, filled with praline crème mousseline (pastry cream with butter and praline paste), and dusted with powdered sugar. It's not the easiest thing to make and it's definitely hard to make it look perfect. I don't mind though, it was excellent and relatively fun to make, even if it wasn't easy. The only problem with mine was I ran out of cream for the filling because the ring spread a little too much (probably because I didn't do a great job piping it, so it was slightly flat and wide.) Still, as I mentioned, it tasted very good!

No comments:

Post a Comment