Saturday, October 31, 2009

Devil's Food Cupcakes

Tomorrow is Halloween.  It is one of my favorite holidays, so I'm having a party.  And what's a party without desserts?  I figured I'd get started on the baking tonight, so I made some devil food cupcakes in the shape of pumpkins.  (I had some left over batter so I made some regular cupcakes as well.)  By the way this isn't the same devil's food cake as I used for my mom's birthday cake, but it tastes similar (and just as good) and is much easier to make.

To flatten out the bottoms of the pumpkins (so they sit flat and look like pumpkins) I cut off what would be the tops of normal cupcakes.  My mom and I ate the cut off bits, just to make sure the cake was OK to serve...it was.  I'm going to frost the remaining pumpkins so they look like pumpkins and I'm not sure what I will do with the plain cupcakes...maybe I'll just frost them normally with the left over orange and green frosting from decorating the pumpkins.

I'll post photos of the finished pumpkins as well as the other desserts tomorrow or Sunday, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment