Thursday, February 23, 2012

Lemon Tart with Mixed Berry Sorbet

This was okay. The mixed berry sorbet was very nice, the crystalized basil leaf was good, and the basil crème anglaise and berry coulis decoration was beautiful and tasty. The problem was the lemon tart. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't great. I loved the lemon tartlets we made in Level I so much that these just didn't thrill me. I thought that they were a bit too sweet and a wee bit bland...definitely not enough lemon flavor. I really liked the crust, which was a sweet tart dough with lemon zest mixed into it, on its own (as a cookie). I think that the sweet crust, however, coupled with the sweet baked custard filling was just too much; it needed some tartness or at least something a bit savory (like a pâte brisée crust) to cut the sweet. I think that the sorbet and basil were there to add the tart and savory elements, but they just didn't cut it, in my opinion. Ah well, it was still nice and very attractive.

No comments:

Post a Comment