Saturday, November 5, 2011

Angel Food Cake


I've never made angel food cake before, so I was very excited for this lesson. However it ended up being a bit of a let down. I guess the recipe was to blame, but I didn't really like the final product. The crumb was too damp and heavy with too much air between for my taste. I prefer a lighter, dryer crumb with smaller gaps between. But the main problem was that the cake was far too sweet. I like my angel food cake sweet, but only just, because I think of it as a base for berries, ice cream, chocolate sauce, etc. This was too sweet for that, it was really a dessert in and of itself. I suppose that's nice, but angel food cake just really doesn't stand up to the challenge of being alone on a plate. Anyway, for my tastes it was even a little too sweet (almost sugary) to be alone. Perhaps a bitter chocolate sauce would have toned it down. I didn't try though, it didn't seem worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment