Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving a.k.a eat-as-much-as-you-can-because-calories-can't-possibly-count-on-a-national-holiday day!


Ok, not really, but still, I love Thanksgiving because it's really a holiday about food (and giving thanks, obviously).

So we always make turkey with excellent stuffing (my mom makes it with apples, apricots, celery, onions, mushrooms, and italian sausage), gravy, cranberry sauce (jellied and, this year, real cranberry sauce too), mashed potatoes, veg, and some sort of roll. The last few years I've made biscuits. This year I did the same. I used a recipe I found on the food network website for the Neely's buttermilk biscuits (it's the same recipe I used last year). I think they were slightly better this year.
       

I also made apple pie with crumble topping for dessert. The recipe was from the William-Sonoma Pie and Tart cookbook. It was very easy and really good! The only problem--if you can call it that--is that the recipe made enough apple filling for two pies. Well the pie crust I made was enough for two pies (or one double crust pie) so I just rolled out a second crust, made extra crumble mixture, and voilĂ  two pies for almost no more effort than one! I just served it with some vanilla ice cream. A simple, delicious dessert that's perfect after a rather large meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment