Saturday, November 5, 2011

James Beard Auction and Gala

A very blurry Mario Batali walking by my table!
Lucky me, I got invited to the James Beard Auction and Gala because I won a James Beard scholarship this summer (as announced at James Beard Chefs and Champagne)! Of course it was held on the first night of the cakes unit at school, but I don't mind missing one class--it's not every day I get invited to a gala.
Mussel risotto--my favorite hors d'oeuvre of the night.
The whole thing was a ton of fun. The cocktail reception was a bit awkward--I'm not a good mingler--but the food was good enough to make up for that. At the dinner I was seated with a bunch of other scholarship winners, which was quite pleasant. The food was wonderful! It should have been; Mario Batali was cooking it. Among other things, dinner included:

A perfectly cooked sea scallop with an
incredible amount of shaved truffles
A creamy butterscotch and sea salt budino (pudding) 
with delicious pine nut and rosemary cookies
(and surprisingly good decaf coffee)

No comments:

Post a Comment