Saturday, December 3, 2011

Danish, revisited


I like danish, but they aren't my favorite breakfast pastry. So I was a little disappointed that we had to make more danish after having made them already in the first bread unit. These were not disappointing! In fact they may have been the best danish I've ever eaten. The dough is moist and tender and the taste is greatly improved by a bit of citrus zest. Then we got to have fun with fillings. We used cream cheese filling (which has egg in it so it puffs up nicely in the oven), almond cream, raspberry jam, pastry cream, and fresh apricots. I personally prefer cream cheese or almond cream fillings to pastry cream and fresh fruit. We had to practice certain shapes:

The pinwheel, with cream cheese filling (technically I was supposed to put an apricot half on top, but I'm not a fan):


The bear claw, with almond cream and raspberry jam (as is traditional):



The package, with almond cream:



The two headed baby (no, that's not the real name, but I don't remember what it is), with pastry cream and apricot halves:


No comments:

Post a Comment