Thursday, December 8, 2011

Bread Unit Exam


They really threw us a curve ball for this exam. We knew we would have to make brioche and croissant (and presumably pain au chocolat) because we prepared the dough the class prior to the exam. However, we didn't know that we would have to make another yeasted bread (of our choice) and a quickbread muffin (that we were randomly assigned.) I got cornbread for my muffin! I'm very happy about that because I love cornbread and it's quite easy to make. For my choice of yeasted bread, I picked vienois, because it was incredible and one of the simpler breads to make.

So the brioche à tête came out pretty well. Definitely tasty and even though the heads came out a little wonky, the chef said that they looked quite nice. This is especially good because about half the brioche dough (mine included) wasn't defrosted before class, so I had to wait over an hour before I could use it. The croissants were under proofed and slightly underbaked because there wasn't enough space in the proof boxes and then I ran out of time. Ah well. At least the pain au chocolat were closer--they were pretty much proofed and properly baked--and the chef said they looked nice. The cornbread came out almost perfect and oh so yummy! And the vienois was pretty close to perfect (although I didn't do the cuts on top quite deep enough.)

Overall, not a great success, but not too bad either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment